Sunday 22 September 2013

Oh My Word!

Sundays make a great day for exploring this crazy city I'm living in! 

Today I went to WORD ON THE STREET

It's a festival that celebrates WORDS! Literacy, writing, poetry, illustration, songs, letters, punctuation, grammar......

THIS IS MY KIND OF FESTIVAL!!!!

For those of you who don't know me, I LOVE to write. In fact, I hope to be an author someday. You might not know that I've already had a poem published too. 

So my mum and I went to Word On The Street to check out what the event had to offer and I was SURPRISED by how many PEOPLE THERE WERE! 

Sometimes I forget that this city has 2.6 million people in it. Apparently they all wanted to go to Word on The Street! :D 

Basically, the city shuts down the entire Queen's Park Circle (and a few of the streets around it) and then magical tents full of wondrous books and all things WORD related are set up in tents and booths around the park. 

Here are some highlights from the day......
Word On The Street is that this PEYge is awesome! 



TVO Kids entertainment stage! Awesome! 

Illustrators doing their thing everywhere! 


Lots of activities to take part in (identifying fingerprints? This IS a cool festival!) 

WAIT! WAIT! HOLD THE BLOG POST! 

WHY HAS NOBODY TOLD ME ABOUT THIS

HOW DID I GO MY ENTIRE 13 YEARS ON THE PLANET WITHOUT KNOWING

THAT THIS STUPENDOUSLY AMAZING AWESOMELY BRILLIANT

MOST PERFECT THING IN THE WHOLE WORLD

EXISTS!?

LET ME INTRODUCE TO YOU......

THE BOOKMOBILE!!!!!!!

Yes, it's a LIBRARY ON WHEELS! 

Or, you know, Heaven, as I like to call it. 


BOOKMOBILE!!!!!!!






Listening to The Strumbellas at the TVOKids Stage!!!!



There were so many neat author talks and things happening in tents all around Queen's Park Circle. 

One of the things I thought was interesting was a POETRY SLAM (even though people were snapping and since becoming a PEYge I don't really like snapping anymore as the aides and ushers SNAP at the pages to get their attention). I heard a poet named Greg Frankson (he goes by Ritalin) who has a radio show on CBC doing a couple of his poems. His poems were really fluid and modern and contemporary. He used volume and oompf to get his message across. They sounded like spoken songs. So much rhythm. I especially liked "Child Of The Beat" that was a poem about the music that his mom made him listen to when he was a kid. 



OH! THEN THIS REALLY CRAZY COOL EXCITING THING HAPPENED......
This would be famous author, Don Gillmor writing a story about ME! I got to talk to him for a little while and he asked me a lot of questions and then wrote this cool story! 




Let me tell you how it goes.......



PEYTON'S VERY BAD DAY

It was her first day as a parliamentary page, and Peyton was nervous. Actually, she was VERY nervous. 

When William "Big Bill" Bumpf, the gumpiest MPP in the world, yelled out her name, she almost jumped. 

"Peyton!" he bellowed. "Bring me a glass of water." 

She raced off and filled a glass of water and brought it back. Except just as she was about to hand it to him, she tripped, spilling the whole glass in his lap. 

All the MPPs laughed

"Peyton!" he bellowed again. 

This is the worst day of my life, she thought. But then she realized she had her first story for her career as a writer. 

And she smiled.  



This was, for sure, a most excellent day! 

And of course, no bookish event would be complete without the perfect pair of librarian glasses! 




---PeyThePEYge


PS: Today at Word On the Street at Don Gillmor's booth, I met a woman named Siri. She just happens to be Premier Wynne's speech writer! How cool is that? 

PPS: On Monday (the day after Word on the Street) I met Siri in the Whitney Block and she said hello to me! :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment