Thursday 26 September 2013

Clear The Deck!

Not hit the deck! I said CLEAR the deck! You can come up now! :D

No, I haven't been boating! Clearing the deck is a phrase I have heard a LOT of in the last two weeks. The MPPs are using it regularly and it's kind of exciting.

You see, even though the three different parties have their own beliefs and things they work for, they also agree on things from time to time (I know, hard to believe). I guess it's kind of like having a sister.... sometimes you argue and disagree but every once in a while you can come together and agree on something (okay, maybe it's a small thing but at least it's SOMETHING!)

Well in the last couple of weeks, the parties have agreed on some of the bills that have been presented in the House. They're kind of considered small bills, not ones that mean a whole big change or that take a lot of work or money, but they are important (like the one saying people under 18 can't use tanning beds for example). So the parties kind of agreed to clear the deck, meaning that they want to get these smaller bills that everyone pretty much agrees are good bills out of the way so that they can concentrate on the really big deals.

This means that there have been a lot of bills being passed in the House. In fact, my group of pages will have seen more bills being passed during our session than most other sessions every get to see! It's kind of exciting to have been a part of seeing laws created for our province. Even more exciting is how some of the bills that are passed I EVEN GET TO CARRY TO THE SPEAKER AND THE CLERK. It's like my hands are actually delivering the thing that makes the law! Kind of cool.

I've been thinking about how to really explain how a law is made in Ontario, but I think that this really cool video does an AMAZING job of doing that for me. So this time, I'll save my fingers from getting sore from all the typing and just let you watch this (it's pretty short and it's really good, promise!)




Now if you're like me, you know all about how a law is made.... and have this crazy song stuck in your head! (Sink or swim! Swim or sink! Will the bill make it? What do you think????)


---PeyThePEYge

No comments:

Post a Comment