Tuesday 10 September 2013

Bills, Bills, Everywhere Bills!

In the Legislature a Bill can actually mean a couple of things. Bill might refer to: 

Bill Mauro, Liberal MPP from Thunder Bay Atikokan 

Bill Walker, PC MPP from Bruce-Grey - Owen Sound

But most likely, it is referring to this kind of bill: 

BILL: an idea written in legal language that is presented by an MPP as an idea to become a law or to change an existing law. 


QUICK TIP: There are 3 main kinds of bills that can be presented:
1. Government Bill This is a Bill that is introduced by a Cabinet Minister (one of the Honourables, like the Minister of Education for example) 

2. Private Members' Public BillsThis is a Bill that is introduced by an MPP who isn't a Cabinet Minister

3. Committee Bills 
This is a Bill that is introduced by the Chairs of some of the Committees


There is a period of time in the afternoon where MPPs get 
to state that they have a bill to present. They read the title of the bill and it gets delivered to the Speaker who reads it, then finally to one of the clerks who then reads the name of the bill again.  

Guess what? 

Today, this PEYge picked up a Bill after it was introduced by MPP Bob Bailey from Sarnia Lambton!!!!

 This means I stood next (and slightly behind) MPP Bailey while he read the title of the Bill, and then I delivered the Bill to the Speaker. Every time a Page delivers something to the Speaker, we have to make sure it is delivered in a way that it is right side up so he can read it right away without having to turn it around. I then had to wait while he read the Bill out loud, take it from him and bow (a Page always bows when they are finished doing any kind of business with the Speaker) and delivered it finally to the clerk (this time, it was Tonia Grannum - Clerk of Procedural Services). 

So an idea that I carried in my hands to the Speaker and the Clerk may one day end up being a law! Isn't that exciting? 

The other exciting part of today is, of course, that I was FORMALLY INTRODUCED by the Speaker. This made everything feel really official. When he called my name, I stepped forward, smiled and bowed and stepped back into line with my Page teammates. It was pretty exciting. 

When the Assembly took a quick break, MPP Clark (the MPP from my riding of Leeds Grenville) came over to say hello to me and talk for a few minutes. It was really nice of him to do that. It's amazing how friendly a lot of the MPPs are towards the Pages. Sometimes it's easy to forget that MPPs are actually people too! :D Mr. Clark also introduced me to Mr. Hudak who is the Leader of the PC party. 

Oh, I almost forgot! I have special chamber duties during my term. On Mondays and Tuesdays I am responsible (with another Page) for making sure the Clerks all have water at their desks before the House sits. On Wednesdays and Thursdays I'm responsible for getting Mr. Hudak's books which are the books that he puts on his desk because he likes to have something elevated to put his papers on. 

I like having these special duties!

So all in all, my second day was great. I'd say even better than my first day! And that's saying a lot because I ended my day with math today! :D A good PEYge has to stay on top of her schoolwork! :D

---PeyThePEYge



No comments:

Post a Comment