Monday 30 September 2013

My Dog Ate My Homework (and other political statements)

Today I had a chance to meet with the leader of the NDP party, Andrea Howarth. 

We got together in the NDP caucus board room. 

Mrs. Horwath came in a few minutes late and apologized, saying that her dog, Waffles (I KNOW! WAFFLES!!!), had made her late. She said, "you've probably heard the excuse, 'my dog ate my homework', though you're such good kids you've probably never used it. Really, though. I had to take Waffles out for a walk this morning. I put on her boots but not her raincoat. So when we got back she was soaking wet except for her feet, so I had to dry her off before I could come!".  Immediately I liked this woman. I mean, a dog named WAFFLES who wears boots and a coat? That's pretty perfect. 

Mrs. Horwath asked us a few questions about the Page Program and how we were liking it. Then she told us a little about herself. 

She was going to University in the town where she grew up in Hamilton. The former main industry in Hamilton was steel. During the recession, lots of people in the steel industry got laid off and it was mostly immigrants who couldn't speak or read or write English very well. Some of the professors at her university, herself and some of her student colleagues made a workshop to help the immigrants learn the language and find new jobs. She was going to go study law but didn't. She started working for social groups, so working with injured workers and single moms and people with disabilities, helping them access services and finding jobs. Her friends all decided that they needed someone from their group to be on the city council so that they could influence the other people to fund the group and help it with its work. She ended up being the one to run and her political career began! She was successful and was a counsellor until 2004 when she ran for a provincial seat. She became an MPP until 4 years ago when she was elected party leader and was successful. Next year she will celebrate her 14th year as a provincial politician. 

Then it was our turn to ask the questions. 

I asked her what one thing she was most proud of accomplishing (or that her party accomplished) since she became an MPP. She gave me a really honest answer but I promised not to tell.... so my lips are sealed!!!

It's really interesting meeting with the MPPs because you don't really think of them as people, you see them as their roles or as kind of famous people. Really, they are all very real and kind and willing to talk to you. They also seem to have really interesting backgrounds and seem to be people who want to help make the world a better place. That's something I have in common with them. Who knows, maybe one day, I'll be an MPP. 

The Pages with Ms. Horwath


---PeyThePEYge








No comments:

Post a Comment