Monday 5 August 2013

You Can Colle It a Wynne-Wynne Situation!

So some of you might know that I had the awesome opportunity to meet MPP Steve Clark who is a Conservative MPP from my riding of Leeds Grenville. MPP Clark stopped by my house to meet my sister and I after we did our Share Your Hair Project. He actually stopped by on election night which I thought was pretty cool of him. What I like most about Steve Clark is that he is really easy to talk to, he is connected with his community and he stands up for what he believes in. 

BUT

This weekend, I actually had an opportunity to meet another MPP. (I'm starting to wonder if politicians are following me around ;) !) MPP Michael Colle is a Liberal from the Eglinton-Lawrence Riding, has a cottage right near my Noni and Boppa's cottage in Quebec. MPP Colle was out for his morning run (this guy is amazing, he is 68 years old and runs marathons. Awesome!) when he stopped by the cottage to say hello and talk to me about the Page Program. If I was feeling nervous about going and being a PEYge, MPP Colle really helped me realize that the MPPs are just regular people who, like me, want to be involved and make positive change in their communities and in our province. I thought it was so nice to meet him and his wife. I'm looking forward to seeing him again during my term of duty. 



Me and my sister with MPP Colle at our cottage.  

And just when I thought it couldn't get any better than having met two MPPs before I become a PEYge.........

(my suspicion about being followed by politicians was confirmed!)

I was enjoying Canalfest which is a celebration in my village to recognize the importance and awesomeness of our canal, when I saw out of the corner of my eye our local mayor, Mr. Struthers. I wondered why he was surrounded by tough-looking body guards with earpieces and news reporters. I know he's important, but the body guards were a little over the top! Then I noticed that there was someone next to him who looked familiar. It took me a minute to realize it was

PREMIER KATHLEEN WYNNE!!!!

I couldn't let the opportunity to meet Premier Wynne pass me by! I immediately walked over and waited to meet with her. Mayor Struthers introduced us and I told her that I would be serving as a PEYge this fall. 


She was so nice and she congratulated me saying that it would be such a wonderful experience for me.  I asked if she had any advice and she said that I shouldn't be nervous or afraid to ask questions. That a big part of being a PEYge is interacting with the MPPs and Premier Wynne because it gives a chance to ask questions and learn from their experiences. She told me that I should definitely visit her office and remind her that we met at Canalfest. I think one of the funniest parts of our conversation was when she met my sister, Taylor. She looked at us both and said, "I can't tell which one of you is the oldest sibling". It's funny to me when people mistake us for twins or can't tell our ages apart, especially since now I'm taller than Taylor who is 2 years older than me! 


Premier Wynne was so kind and pleasant. I thought it was great that she was taking the time to stop and meet people in the park, to listen to what they were saying, to answer questions and to meet with me! 

Meeting Premier Wynne would be a pretty amazing experience for any kid, but it meant a little more to me since it gave me an opportunity to introduce myself and talk to her about the Page Program, and really see her as a real person out in the community before meeting her in the Legislature. 



Me with Premier Kathleen Wynne!

Talk about an AMAZING weekend! And this is only the beginning! 

-- PeyThePEYge



No comments:

Post a Comment