Thursday 15 October 2015

Hey, Politicians… Can You Hear Us?

#StudentVote

I wanted to get a better understanding of how my classmates and fellow students feel about the party leaders, the main issues, and the campaign, so today in class I facilitated a group discussion.  Here are some of the responses that my peers shared:

"I am voting for the Conservative party because I believe Stephen Harper is experienced, has done a wonderful job representing our country and has a great platform to stabilize Canada's economy" - Noah

"In this election, the issues I feel are important are: big trade, helping people (the old, the poor, the immigrants), protecting the environment, and new jobs. This is politics, not a show. I am voting for the Green Party because they think for the whole world and their environment" - Lutcia 

"I want a leader who wants to protect our Canadian heritage, encourages Canadian pride, and wants the best four our country as a whole rather than just the government. Someone who has political experience. Someone who is educated and not ignorant to crucial events not just in our country, but in our world. Picking what party you want is equivalent to picking what kind of food you would least like to eat" - Hanna

"The issue I feel is most important in this campaign is the decrease in the amount of children a child care worker can have in their home with registered and unregistered daycare." - Karlee

"I think cheaper education is the most important issue because everyone deserves an education, but not everyone has the money to pay for it." - Leah

"I'm focused on the major issues: education funding, maintaining good healthcare, having military only involved when needed" - Connor

"In my opinion, harsh changes that don't solve the original problem are the most important issue - for example, the legalization of marijuana because it causes more and more social/community based conflicts"  -Ashton

"I'm voting Liberal because they want to lower taxes and help the middle class more" -Briana

"The most important election issues are the middle class tax breaks and not enough people voting." -Alex

"A leader needs to be responsible, empathetic, confident and comfortable with making difficult decisions. I want the focus to be on education because that's what affects me the most in my life right now" - Liz

Thanks to my class for the great discussion and ideas! Let's hope our leaders hear our VOICES and make some positive changes!

No comments:

Post a Comment